Sunday 27 April 2014

Apartments - The new localities in India

I'm a child of the 80s and 90s and was a 4th generation neighbour to families living in our locality in Dharwad. I stayed in the same neighbourhood for a good 21 years of my life; so I knew my neighbours. The children in the neighbourhood were my extended friends and I grew up with them. We played, sometimes even studied together.

In the 2000s, when my sister was growing up, my parents moved to a new locality and things were very different this time. They were vary of the neighbourhood and the people alike, as it was new to them. Families which move often face the same dilemma these days as the times are not as trusting as they used to be.

So I was in for a surprise when I moved into an apartment in Bangalore. I see that families here are not vary of each other. I myself have chatted up with quite a few residents in the society at random. It's great that children and adults get to experience the company of their neighbours that went missing for a decade in the 2000s.

Apartments, especially gated societies give a sense of safety to otherwise vary parents. Now parents can let children play without having to worry or keep a watch on them. It's not just the children, but also adults above 60 years of age, who get good company. In addition the amenities provided by the apartment at the cost of maintenance, (like tennis, basketball, volleyball courts, club houses and swimming pools, and an open space for people to take a walk safely without having to worry the time of the day) comes at a cheap price if used effectively.

Many nuclear families are shifting to apartments on rent, by renting their own, individual houses for safety. But I hope they also recognize that these places also give them experiences which might have easily gone unnoticed and missing.

PS: To readers: If you noticed something similar or different, leave your thoughts.

No comments: