Saturday 3 May 2014

Photo Tutorial - Basics 1 - Rule of thirds

Photography to me is a way to see the world as it's not and at times, as it is. Yesterday, I decided to give it a serious try. 

I'm not exceptional artistically or a natural, like most of the junta who try their hands on the art; but I'm doing my homework, learning the basics and seeing results as my pictures get better week after week. 

I'll be sharing my journey and I'm hoping my blogs will help beginners to take better pictures.

camera: Canon PowerShot SX100IS

The heart of the picture is its composition, i.e., the elements that make the frame. The easiest rule to learn and remember to ensure good composition is the Rule of thirds. 

Basically, you have to divide the picture into 9 equal grids using 2 horizontal and 2 vertical lines. Once done, the subject of the picture has to be aligned  along these lines of their intersections.

If the background has 2 textures, as in landscape photography (sky and earth), the horizon can be aligned along the lower or upper horizontal grid line (1/3 sky, 2/3 earth OR 2/3 sky, 1/3 earth).

I enabled the grid lines feature in my camera and applied the rule of thirds and I felt I was taking more sensible pictures.

















PS: If the blog was helpful and you were able to take better pictures, I'd love to hear about it. Please drop in your suggestions and experiences.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good Blog very nice to acess
Lechuza Planters

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing

good resorts around coimbatore

Unknown said...

good photos i think, i love art and artistic photographs... thank you!

http://lifelikeacat.blogspot.com.tr/

Sukrati Johri said...

Hi Friend! Amazing Blog. If you want any help in website development feel free to visit us at http://anomla.com/website_development_company.html.