Saturday 24 September 2011

My best bud!

It feels good to pen down thoughts. And what better forum than a blog site? I'm really grateful to my better half, I mean the other side of my brain, for having had this urge to start blogging again. It's great getting back on board. Now, it also translates to the fact that, after what felt like ages, I've got a plethora of topics to write about. I remember a while ago I was almost digging for them. I just couldn't find any. So what changed, you ask? I'm not the kind of person who goes looking for topics to put on a blog. I blog usually about my experiences. This just means that I'm squeezing more out of life than I ever had. I'm experiencing a whole different world with my best buds around. I'll be talking about one of them in this post!

My most favorite person in the entire world, my MOM! Yup, she's my best bud. I've been the center of her universe from the time I was born. We've grown together, in the last 27 years, in wisdom and in strength.

Alas, I didn't have the same feeling when I growing up. She was tough. On herself and on me. She hated mediocrity and indiscipline. She always wanted me to give my best at anything I did. She was an inspiration, and at the same time, a pain in the ass. There were times when I sat down in the corner of my room, crying... thinking, why was she being so tough? And there were also times when I hated her. Today, when I look back, I can connect the dots. She was tough on me because she knew I could do better. She knew I had the potential, even before I did. She always said, "What you make of life rests in you! Everyone has it in them. So, why only a few make it, irrespective of all odds? Think about it."

We've grown fond of each other only in the last decade. She's my diary. Every one of my experiences goes into it. Whether it's getting drunk or getting laid (ha! When it happens :)). She's been my nurturer, caretaker, mentor, teacher and now, she's my best friend.

I'm reminded of this quote of Albus Dumbledore from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's stone, "It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to your enemies, but a great deal more to stand up to your friends." She showed me the mirror, even when she knew it would break me. She always believed in confronting the fact rather than ignoring them. "Face now, suffer less. Face later and suffer more", she'd say. Smart, she was! . "See, if you work hard today, life's going to be great tomorrow. If you don't, it's going to be the same, which I'm sure isn't too great today." She never told me what to do, instead gave a choice. She made me responsible for whatever I am today.

hmm... I just can't stop. But it's time to call her... I'll come back with more later.

2 comments:

mandylh said...

I feel like that about my mom! I'm not as open with her as you are yours though! My mom still wants to keep me 10, ha! 32 years old, and I have never cursed in front of her. It works for us though.! Nice blog! Have a great day

Ruthvika said...

Hey Mandylh! Thanks :)